Biophysics Senior Scientist
Beatson Institute for Cancer Research
Glasgow, United Kingdom
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic scientist with expertise in biophysical techniques to join our structural biology team.The Drug Discovery Programme at the Beatson Institute in Glasgow, is one of five Cancer Research UK funded Drug Discovery teams across the UK. These teams aim to work closely with local cancer experts to maximise the opportunity to develop new and innovative therapies that strike at the core of cancer pathology. Using state of the art screening and structural biology technology, industry standard medicinal chemistry and complex biological modelling systems, the Drug Discovery group at the Beatson is tackling some of the most challenging targets in cancer biology today. After a number of successful rounds of funding, we are now looking to further expand our operations across Chemistry, Structural Biology and Biology. If you are a highly skilled, enthusiastic scientist who takes an innovative and proactive approach to research challenges, then we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for a talented, motivated and enthusiastic scientist with expertise in SPR & other biophysical techniques to join our structural sciences team.
Playing an influential role in our drug discovery projects, you will work collaboratively with all teams (biophysicists, protein scientists, crystallographers, biologists and chemists) at the Beatson to help formulate innovative and forward thinking approaches towards tackling exciting and challenging drug target classes.
The role requires you to develop and use novel SPR & other biophysical assays to characterise protein ligand interactions, applying these to medicinal chemistry-driven projects at all stages from fragment-based hit identification through to lead optimisation. The quality data that you produce using a range of biophysical techniques will be critical, helping teams form an understanding of both the mechanism of action of our molecules and the target biology.
In addition, you will contribute to the development of the biophysics discipline by identifying and driving improvements and innovations that advance drug discovery projects.
Skills & Experience:
- A BSc or PhD with significant experience in Biophysics, Biochemistry or a related discipline;
- Extensive experience of SPR for measuring protein-ligand interactions is essential;
- Experiences of additional biophysical techniques (e.g. ITC, NMR) along with a solid understanding of protein science and enzymology are highly desirable;
- Experience of working in a drug discovery environment where structural and biophysical studies are central to the progression of medicinal chemistry strategies is highly desirable;
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, including experience of working as part of multidisciplinary team.