South Georgia Marine Protected Area Data Manager
BAS - British Antarctic Survey
Cambridge, United Kingdom
To build a data portal that brings together accessible environmental data relevant to the forthcoming review (2018) and ongoing management of the South Georgia Marine Protected Area. To develop appropriate analyses and visualisations of these data using appropriate mapping and Geographic Information System tools to aid scientists/environmental managers review and manage the MPA.
- Degree or higher in a marine, biological or data management subject area.
- Liaise with scientists to compile a prioritised list of datasets that are relevant to the project and with existing staff in the Polar Data Centre, to understand and become familiar with how these datasets are currently managed and the formats in which they are held;
- Collate data from high priority datasets that are not currently held in database format and design database tables to hold these data. Design queries to extract relevant data from existing database;
- Design a data portal than brings together all relevant high-priority datasets;
- Collate updated base layers for mapping such as bathymetry, oceanographic features, Marine Protected Area boundaries;
- Liaise with project personnel to compile a prioritised list of analyses and visualisations of the data that will aid the MPA review and ongoing management.
- Undertake the identified analyses and visualisations using appropriate data/GIS tools;
- Contribute to the dissemination of results of the project and publication of the data products as required by the project manager.