Team Leader, Cellular Structure & 3D Bioimaging
EMBL - EBI - European Bioinformatics Institute
Cambridge, United Kingdom
The Cellular Structure & 3D Bioimaging team at EMBL-EBI manages the EMDB and EMPIAR archives and thus plays a key role in the global archival and dissemination of 3DEM data. We are now looking to recruit a Team Leader to provide visionary leadership of this team. The team is relatively small at present (6 posts, funded by EMBL-EBI, NIH, MRC and BBSRC), but we expect it to grow under the new team leader, as EMBL-EBI is establishing itself as a global leader in image-data repositories.
The team leader will work closely with the Protein Data Bank in Europe team that is also part of EMBL-EBI’s Molecular and Cellular Structure cluster, as well as with UK and international collaborators. The team leader will also initiate new collaborations and raise funds via competitive peer-reviewed grants to supplement core funding allocated to the team. A key task of the team leader will be the continued development of EMBL-EBI's high-value 3D bioimaging resources designed to serve as a platform for research into molecular medicine and other areas of the life sciences.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A PhD and at least 6 years post-doctoral experience in the area of 3D bioimaging (preferably, cryo-EM), supported by a solid publication record;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of major 3D bioimaging modalities, including cryo-EM (both TEM and SEM), electron and soft X-ray tomography, CLEM, and super-resolution light microscopy.
In addition, practical experience with at least one of these modalities is required:
- Proven ability to attract grant funding;
- Experience in managing complex software-development projects, using Scrum or similar techniques; experience in managing projects involving external collaborators; experience in personnel management.
The following are advantageous:
- Experience in software development (e.g., in C/C++, Python, Java) as well as web development (front-end and back-end);
- Experience in organising workshops and other scientific meetings as well as a keen interest in teaching, training and other outreach activities;
- Familiarity with related archives and bioinformatics resources and ontologies such as PDB, EMDB, UniProt and GO;
- Familiarity with relevant formats and data models such as mmCIF and the EMDB data model;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, fluency in English (to be demonstrated in the cover letter), ability to work in a team and with international collaborators, as well as attention to detail are all required. The position requires frequent national and international travel.