Research Postdoc Position: Interaction between Algae and Grazers: Sensing the Menace and Responding to It
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic - Institute of Microbiology
Třeboň, Czech Republic
We are seeking an individual to conduct research on the way algae perceive the presence of predators and respond to it. The focus of the projects are the algae, not the grazers. The candidates should be able to work independently, using a variety of physiological and biochemical methods. The job will include both routine analyses and development of new methods. Initially, the employee will be involved in the set up of algal and grazers cultures and physiological characterization of the algae; he/she will have to set up methods to distinguish algae in multiple competition experiments with a flow-cytometer. Subsequently, he/she will have to study the metabolic responses within algal with enzymological, classic biochemical and metabolomic approaches. He/she will finally proceed to attempt he identification of infochemicals exchanged between algae and grazers by HPLC-HRMS analyses and/or GC-MS techniques.
Starting date: From February 2017; the contract will have the duration of one year, renewable to a maximum of three.
- Ph.D degree in biological or chemical sciences;
- Ability to independently plan and perform experimental work and tackle technical and conceptual problems;
- Experience in growing algae;
- Experiences with HPLC-HRMS analyses and/or GC-MS techniques (highly desirable but not compulsory);
- Experience with flow cytometry (highly desirable but not compulsory);
- Experience in growing ciliates, copepods and chladocerans (desirable but not compulsory);
- English language spoken/written;
- Ability to write scientific publication in English;
- Good personal communication skills and reliability;
- Proficiency on PC computers with standard Microsoft Office software and software for graph preparation and statistics (Origin, Sigma Plot or alike).
- Independently (after agreement) design and perform scientific experiments;
- Maintain cultures;
- Carry out the analyses required for the project;
- Data evaluation, interpretation and writing of high quality scientific articles and reports.