(Bio-) Engineer, BioInformatician, Microscopist Position
The VIB Bio Imaging Core (BIC) at the KU Leuven Department of Neuroscience has a position for a researcher to contribute to an ongoing technique development in the context of simultaneously correlative electron and light microscopy imaging. BIC Leuven invested in a new system that incorporates a super-resolution optical microscope into a fully functional Scanning Electron Microscope in one device.
Together with the supplier of the system (DELMIC), we want to develop a novel image application pipeline – to create 3D images from a series of 2D images acquired by this system. The task of the candidate will be to work out a workflow for optimizing imaging conditions, to identify similar regions in consecutive tissue sections, and to align and visualize them in 3D. The project will be carried out in collaboration with the company supplying the system (DELMIC), and the candidate will have to interact with this company.
The successful candidate should have sufficient experience relevant to the task. He/she must have sufficient technical experience that he/she can independently collect data and he/she should also be able to work alongside or assist academic researchers.
- Master or PhD in Bioinformatics, Bioscience engineering, Computational Biology, Computational Science or equivalent;
- Candidates should be comfortable with image processing tasks, and be interested in, or experienced with light and, or electron microscopy;
- Technical experience with automated imaging systems, use of x,y translational stages and linear motors of microscope stages is a plus;
- Experience with 3D visualization and image registration is a plus;
- Experience in bioinformatics is a plus;
- Experience with automated deployment tools is a plus;
- Both senior candidates (including those with advanced degrees) and job starters are encouraged to apply.