Cryo-Electron Microscopy Support Scientist X 2
Diamond Light Source
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
eBIC (electron Bio-Imaging Centre) at Diamond Light Source provides scientists with state-of-the-art experimental equipment and expertise in the field of cryo-electron microscopy, for single particle analysis and cryo-tomography. Funded by the Wellcome Trust with the UK Medical Research and Biotechnology and Biology Research Councils, eBIC is a UK National Centre for cryo-electron microscopy in the life sciences and is currently the largest centre of its kind worldwide.
We are seeking to recruit a Support Scientist to join the growing eBIC team. The post holder will be essential to supporting the eBIC’s user programme by providing operational support to eBIC’s internal and external user programme as well as contributing to in-house research and development projects.
The post holder will have a degree in science ideally in the biological sciences and/or biophysics and will contribute to day to day operations of eBIC ranging from general laboratory tasks, microscope upkeep, sample preparation and assisting with external user experiments and training. Previous experience in electron microscopy is not essential as training will be provided although experience with handling of biological samples and experience of working in a biological laboratory is beneficial.
This post provides an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic person to contribute to the continued success of a world-leading scientific facility.
To support the eBIC in the following areas:
- Provide support through the local contacting system to users both on and off site, answering queries and ensuring they are fully briefed to use the appropriate eBIC equipment;
- Contribute to in-house research and development;
- Undertake problem solving and fault diagnosis of eBIC instrumentation and microscopes;
- Provide technical support to users and in-house research activities;
- Management of eBIC peripheral sample preparation laboratories where appropriate;
- Assist in installation, assembly and maintenance of a eBIC instrumentation, including testing and commissioning where appropriate;
- Produce eBIC documentation for external users;
- Co-ordinate meetings, documents, reports and communications.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree in science or engineering;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Proven organisational skills with good attention to detail;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Willingness to help and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Flexible approach to work; ability to work with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working;
- Ability to work independently;
- Good IT skills, including MS Office Suite;
- Knowledge of cryoEM techniques.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of working with biological samples;
- Experience of cryogenics;
- Experience of Linux operating system;
- Experience in working within a scientific or academic environment;
- Experience in scripting (E.g. Python) or programming.