Product Stewardship/Hazard Communication Specialist
The Albemarle Product Stewardship/Hazard Communication group authors and maintains Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) and hazard labels (e.g. GHS, CLP) in compliance with all regional jurisdictions for the worldwide Albemarle product portfolio.
As such, the Product Stewardship/Hazard Communication Specialist is responsible for authoring and maintaining SDSs and labels in accordance with global regulations applicable to the Albemarle portfolio and in particular in accordance with the EU legislation (REACH, CLP...).
This position also provides, as appropriate, regulatory interpretation on various global chemical regulations in conjunction with other product stewardship staff. The Product Stewardship/Hazard Communication Specialist routinely interfaces with internal and external customers to provide additional information or guidance on the various hazard communication documents or hazard determinations.
The Specialist generally interacts with several departments including Toxicology, Regulatory, Health, Safety, & Environment (HSE), and Business partners. He/she also works on various assignments to help implement and maintain procedures and programs to support existing markets globally to ensure permanent product compliance including some administrative and operational tasks.
This position reports to the Hazard Communication Manager located in Belgium.
Please note this is a 2 year fix term contract opportunity.
- Ensure compliance of Albemarle products with hazard assessment requirements of chemical global legislations and ensure generation of Safety Data Sheets and labels compliant with global regulations and EU regulation in particular (REACH, CLP, ...);
- Have comprehensive understanding and interpretation of pertinent global product safety/hazard communication legislations and related legislations;
- Monitor and keep up-to-date with the changing regulatory environment as it pertains to hazard communication and labeling and proactively communicate to the responsible Hazard Communication Manager.
- Prepare and maintain compliant Safety Data Sheets and Labels in appropriate languages for all Albemarle products - using the WERCS software and SAP;
- Assess product toxicological and eco-toxicological data for classification and labeling purposes in cooperation with company toxicologists;
- Enter and maintain hazard assessment and regulatory data into product compliance support and SDS authoring systems;
- Develop internal network with Product development, HS&E, Regulatory and other business partners as required to support SDS generation;
- Provide internal and external customer support related to hazard communication including Safety Data Sheets distribution;
- Maintain company product data in Hazard communication IT system to ensure consistency in the company ERP IT system;
- Support other Albemarle's Product Stewardship activities as appropriate and requested.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree or above with major in Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science or other related scientific discipline;
- 3+ years of experience in chemical hazard assessment and authoring Safety Data Sheets and labels based on various national, international and global hazard communications regulatory schemes;
- Good knowledge of current Hazard Communication requirements and other global chemical regulations and/or guidance (e.g. REACH, CLP, GHS, HazCom 2012, TSCA, K-Reach, China REACH ...);
- Experience communicating with both internal and external customers at all levels of an organization;
- Experience working with SDS/authoring applications including The WERCS, SAP software and with regulatory databases is preferred.
- Very good English communication skills (written and oral);
- Additional language skills would be a preference (German, French or Dutch);
- Ability to interpret hazard communication regulations and understand company impacts of new or changed regulations;
- Ability to work autonomously, manage large amounts of detailed information, and prioritize tasks effectively and to organize a diversified workload;
- Good problem solving;
- Very good computer skills with ability to quickly learn new systems;
- Strong teamwork and collaborative skills.
Apply directly via this link.