Scientist/Curator for Coordinating and Developing R&D Activities and Management of the Collection
Ghent University - Department of Biology
- Day-to-day management of the biological material of the collection. This includes contributing to and supervising the implementation of the high standard of the collection in terms of diversity and quality of strains, their characterization and supporting resources (molecular, physiological, ecological, biotechnological);
- Contribute to the development of a portfolio of basic/applied research within the culture collection based on external funding sources, as well as scientific services to the customer community. This involves applying for external funding and writing scientific papers based on materials from the collection;
- Support the technical staff in daily collection activities and client contacts;
- Actively participate in the day-to-day working of the overall BCCM consortium and its working groups, including regular contacts with the curators of the other BCCM collections.
Profile of the candidate
- You hold a doctoral degree in Sciences: Biology, or a discipline that is declared admissible by the selection committee, or an equivalent degree. This means that, if your doctoral degree is issued by a non-European institution, you will have to obtain a recognition of equivalence by the Flemish government before the start of the appointment. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment - You have already conducted high-level research within the field of the biology, biotechnology or ecology of diatoms, algae or other microorganisms as proven by scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals, awards, patents;
- You have practical experience in the isolation, cultivation, characterization and/or preservation of strains;
- You have good communication skills and have a very good knowledge of written and spoken English;
- You combine being a team player with a strong sense of autonomy, responsibility and initiative.
For more details and to apply for this job click here