Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chemistry - Biocatalysis
University of Liverpool - Department of Chemistry
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Job ID: 008246
Building on the successful feasibility study at Liverpool, you will develop novel oxidase enzymes for production of FDCA from HMF and work with Leeds University and Biome who will scale up the process.
This will include simplification of the existing cascade, optimisation of reaction conditions, enzyme immobilisation, oxygenation and product recovery. There will be a strong interaction with the Group of Professor John Blacker at Leeds University Chemistry Department and Biome Technologies on scale up the process. You will also interact with GeneMill at Liverpool for enzyme optimisation and external partners for enzyme production.
We are looking for highly motivated and enthusiastic candidate with a chemistry background and extensive experience in biocatalysis/industrial biotechnology. You will have demonstrated a pro-active and goal driven approach and be able to independently design and execute research. Experience in molecular biology, microbiology and enzyme assays is desirable. Optimization of preparative-scale biotransformations to allow scale up by our collaborators will be an essential part of the project. The project will involve regular interaction with our industrial partners Biome Technologies and academic collaborators at Leeds University Chemistry Department. You should be well organized, a good communicator and be able to work effectively within a multicenter collaboration. We provide a stimulating and interdisciplinary environment on the chemistry-biology interface with well-equipped laboratories.
RANGE OF DECISION MAKING
You will be responsible for day-to-day decisions regarding project implementation. You will also be involved in longer-term project management and strategic decisions through regular meetings with our partners and though quarterly review meetings. It is expected that you will be an innovative individual with an interest in applying your research skills to this challenging project – this will require daily decision making in terms of determining the best approaches to solve particular research problems.
Experience in at least two of the following areas:
- Application of enzymes in synthesis;
- Enzyme immobilisation;
- Optimisation of enzyme reactions;
- Working with redox enzymes;
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Molecular biology;
- Enzyme assays;
- Enzyme optimisation.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
- PhD in Chemistry/Biocatalysis.
SKILLS, GENERAL AND SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE
- Good standard of written and spoken English Publication record;
- IT skills: Word processing, graphics, etc.;
- Competent use of the standard analytical and;
- spectroscopic techniques used in chemical research;
- Writing research reports;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Analytical and problem solving skills; research aptitude.
- Publication record;
- Specialist software skills: ChemDraw, Pymol, SigmaPlot, bioinformatics;
- Ability to independently write up research results for publication in top tier journals.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND CIRCUMSTANCES
- Able to work well independently and as part of a team;
- Willing to travel to carry out collaborative work.
- Genuine scientific curiosity;
- Initiative to conduct original research;
- Ability to initiate collaborative research.